Automation and AI: Improving Photography One Shot at a TimeAll episodes
In this episode, Scott speaks with Frederick Van Johnson from This Week in Photo about the future of photography. The conversation covers a variety of AI and automation tools, including some you may not realize already play a role in your photography life.
The conversation went on for nearly two hours, so we split it into two easier-to-digest episodes. This is part 1.
We dive deep into machine learning and AI for photographers. We discuss AI automation tools that make tasks like keywording and hierarchy easier than ever before. Autofocus technology is also getting better with AI; cameras now recognize different elements and weigh them differently. We also discuss camera-to-cloud technology. Hear how modern technology in photography has made so much of photography less of a burden and how this has opened up new opportunities for photographers to focus on other important aspects of their work.
Discussed in this episode
- Automating menial tasks for photographers with machine learning and AI
- Improvements in autofocus due to AI and machine learning
- Recognition, understanding and weighting of certain objects
- AI apps generate accurate and interesting keywords
- Caution and optimism about the potential of generative AI
- Cloud technology and AI editing
- Cameras uploading to the cloud for backup and AI culling and editing
- Advancements in technology with Imagen, SmugMug, Fujifiln, Skylum and Frame.io
- Apple’s Vision Pro headset and advancements in focus technology
- Eye tracking features lead to advancements in processing capabilities
- Possibilities for its impact on other industries